Tuesday, July 22, 2008

1st day of VBS

I wasn't sure what I'd be doing when I arrived at VBS this morning, but I hoped it wasn't crafts. I just can't get into cutting out bits of paper or gluing on tufts of cotton or macaroni noodles. But regardless, I knew I needed to do something to help out. Time to give a little something back, right?

I got snagged for a craft.

But you know what? It's a cool craft! It's way too much for one adult to handle, and I can't imagine why this poor woman didn't have anyone assigned to help her (except lack of volunteers, I guess). We're making candles decorated with real seashells. We use cups to hollow out indentations in buckets of sand that is just moist enough to hold its shape. We stick a wick in the bottom, and the kids pick out seashells to embed in the side, sticking up slightly over the edge of the indentation we 'd made. Then we pour in the hot wax and let it cool. At the end of the day we dig the candles out, brush off as much sand as we can, and send them home with the kids. They really come out cute, and each one is very unique!

Dinner tonight was Basil Chicken Strips.

4 lb chicken breast tenderloins
1 cup all purpose flour
1.5 cups Butter
1 cup red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
4 teaspoon basil

In a large resealable plastic bag, shake chicken strips and flour until
coated. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add the
chicken; saute for 5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and basil; cook until
chicken juices run clear.

No comments: