Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Thumbsy

Andrew got a little tongue-tied this evening and said to me, "I wonder how thumbsy we would be if we had only clums." Now there's something to think about.

Well, I know you'll all be utterly fascinated to hear that today was a heavy laundry day. I could go into all of the intricate details of sorting, stain treatment, and folding, but I'm not willing to run the risk of over-exciting anyone.

The monkey has been rescued from the tree! John threw a rake at it until it came down. I guess if I was up in a tree and someone kept throwing a rake at me, I'd come down too! We should be glad that it was only about 10 or 12 feet up in the tree. It's a ginormous evergreen, so it could have been a whole lot worse. Actually, I have a photo of it from a couple of winters ago...let's see if I can find it. Yep, here it is:


The snow's piled up so deep around the base of the tree that it's hard to appreciate its actual height. Oh well.




A miscommunication led to a bit of a scare today. Mary (My sister) comes over every Wednesday night after work to watch our boys so we can go to Small Group (a church-related get-together). Well, as some of you know, Mary's health has not been at all good lately, so I mentioned to her that I thought perhaps she shouldn't come over tonight. She gave a response that I thought was a tactful way of saying that I was worrying too much, and I came away from the conversation thinking she was still coming over.

She came away from the conversation thinking we both understood that she was NOT coming over.

John and I waited for her to arrive, and when it became clear she was late, we started calling her cell phone. No answer. We kept trying for close to 45 minutes, and all the while I was growing more and more concerned because of the way her health has been. I eventually called a couple of local hospitals just to be on the safe side, but she wasn't there. I was actually on the phone with our Small Group hostess, asking her to pray, when my cell phone rang. It was Mary. "You called me?" she asked. She had turned her phone off and had no idea that we were expecting her or would be concerned.

Phew.

Speaking of "Phew," John took the liner out of the special boot that Nathanael has been wearing. Oh my! "Phew" doesn't come close. It's soaking in the sink with Palmolive right now. See, I told you today was exciting!

For some strange reason I was really stressed out for much of the day. I felt like a stress bomb had exploded over my head, and the fallout just kept raining down on me for hours and hours. That was before the whole thing happened with Mary. Actually, I got a lot calmer during and after that.

The kids and I watched the first half of "Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel" tonight. It got too late to finish it, so we'll have to finish it tomorrow. Something to look forward to!

Dinner tonight was a last-minute thrown-together thing. Boxed macaroni and cheese, leftover diced turkey ham, and diced mixed vegetables, all mixed up together. It was a hit, and that's what counts.

No comments: