Monday, August 18, 2008

Boy, was this ever a Monday!


Well, it started out pretty well. I got up at 6:00, which is way early for this night owl. Especially since this particular night owl had stayed up late the night before, against her better judgment. Anyway, we got Nathanael to his bus on time, and then I went back to bed. I didn't get up until I heard that the other kids were up. Shortly after that it dawned on me that Nathanael hadn't taken his morning medicines. So I had to pile the kids into the car and drive the medicines down to the school. After that I made a quick trip to the grocery store and went back home. Then I spent a while getting tonight's dinner ready and into the crock pot.

Then I remembered that I needed to go by Phillip's school and sign some paperwork which then needed to be faxed to his doctor. Until the doctor faxes back his signed copy, the school isn't allowed to administer his medications, and that would mean a round trip every day (until it's signed) to give it to him myself. Needless to say, I wanted to get that signed and faxed ASAP. So I piled the kids back in the car and ran down there, but was amazed to find the office darkened and the doors locked. Somebody came and let me in and informed me that the office staff were all in a confidential meeting and could not be disturbed. "Can you come back in half an hour?" I said I'd hang around instead.

So we decided it would be a great opportunity to help the kids find their classrooms. We already planned to come back to the school tonight for the ice cream social, and we planned to find the classrooms then. But since we were already there, why not look for it now? Well it turns out to be a good thing that we did, because to our total shock we found out that Andrew wasn't registered with the district at all. I distinctly remember filling out all the paperwork and being told that everything was in order, way back before the last school year ended. John remembers me doing the paperwork, too, so I know I didn't imagine it. But somehow it got lost, and Andrew wasn't going to be allowed to start school tomorrow unless I got the paperwork filled out again. So there I sat, filling out paperwork for registration AND for medication. But I'm glad all of that happened when it did. It would have been too late in the day to get him registered if we hadn't found out the error until the ice cream social. Anyway, Andrew is now in the system and will be allowed to start school tomorrow. BUT I don't know if the doctor faxed the form yet, so I don't know if I'll have to make a special trip to administer Phillip's medications at lunchtime tomorrow. AND Andrew isn't yet authorized to ride the bus, though Phillip's driver went to bat for him. So until that bureaucratic hoop is jumped through, the bus will come to our driveway and pick up Phillip, and then I will put Andrew in my car and drive him to school right behind the bus. Let's hope that ridiculousness doesn't last long.

So anyway, then we came home and ate lunch, and I got a bit done around the house (but not a whole lot). I honestly can't tell you what all I did get done, but I didn't sit around doing nothing.

Then at 5:00 it was back to the elementary school for the ice cream social and classroom finding tour. The folks in the office had done a fine job and had Andrew already assigned to a classroom, so we were able to go in and drop off all of his stuff and meet the teacher. I think he feels better about going now than he did before. Of course we did all of that for Phillip, too. We got home at dinnertime, and everything was nice and ready in the crock pot. Hooray for that!

Let's hope the rest of the day goes better! It wasn't a bad day, per se, but I'm hoping for some relaxation.

Dinner was Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
2 can (15 oz) sliced potatoes; drained
4 medium onion; finely chopped
3 cup ham (fully cooked); cubed
4 tablespoon butter
4 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 can cream of celery soup; undiluted
2 2/3 cup Water
8 oz shredded cheddar

Slice potatoes, chop onions, cube ham. In a slow cooker, layer potatoes,
onions and ham. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, mustard, salt
and pepper until smooth. Combine soup and water; gradually stir into flour
mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened
and bubbly. Pour over ham. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until
potatoes are tender. If desired, sprinkle with cheese before serving


Photo from Stock.xchng by Woodsy
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: