Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Challenges and Checkups



Phillip fell asleep in our bed tonight. John went up and found him like this, apparently embracing some new ideas about Biblical child-rearing. We had to get a photo!

I had my cardiology checkup today. The doctor wasn't too thrilled that I have quit taking my statin drugs, but when I told him how much my memory and general functionality had improved, he agreed that it was worth trying. (I think he could also clearly see that, if he gave me a prescription, he'd be wasting the paper.) He confirmed the research which shows that statins can cause memory problems, and he also said that my cholesterol wasn't too bad. It was in the low 100's, like 117 or so. He said they like to see it lower in people who have had blockages, but I reminded him that my "blockage" was caused by a coronary artery spasm, and that the cardiac catheterization failed to find any evidence of plaque. He wants to see me again in 6 months instead of the usual year. I can live with that.

Nathanael went to a student orientation today from 9am to 1pm at the Jr. High. It was evidently a good experience, and I think he may feel a little less nervous than he did. Overall, he's more excited than nervous, which is good.

I had to deal with some pretty serious "parenting challenges" today. I won't embarrass any kids by singling anyone out or going into details. But the Lord blessed it, and it turned into a very positive thing. I'm very thankful.

Dinner tonight was "Meatloaf Sensation" and "Au Gratin Garlic Potatoes."

Meatloaf Sensation


2-1/2 lb ground beef
4 oz salsa (plus additional if needed to reach desired consistency)
1 pkg dry taco seasoning; divided
1 large egg; slightly beaten
1 cup dry bread crumbs
12 oz shredded Mexican mix cheese
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Crisscross doubled strips of aluminum foil to use as lifters in crockpot. Reserve half of taco seasoning. Combine all other ingredients and mix well. (I sometimes have to add additional salsa here because it's too dry.) Shape into loaf and place in slow cooker. Sprinkle with remaining taco seasoning. Cover and cook on low eight to 10 hours.

Au Gratin Garlic Potatoes


1/2 cup milk
1 can cheddar cheese soup; undiluted
8 oz cream cheese; cubed
1 clove garlic; minced
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 lb potato; peeled and sliced
1 small onion; chopped

In a saucepan, heat milk over medium heat until bubbles form around side of saucepan. Remove from the heat. Add the soup, cream cheese, garlic, nutmeg and pepper; stir until smooth. Place the potatoes and onion in a 3-qt slow-cooker. Pour the milk mixture over the potato mixture; mix well. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until potatoes are tender. (You really have to watch this one because it can scorch on the sides if it cooks too long. My crock pot is an older model that doesn't get as hot as the newer models, but it still scorches if I leave it too long.)

No comments: